A regulated taxi industry is safe for customers and communities!
Canada’s taxicab industry is regulated to ensure the safety of the people we serve. Every day, we transport hundreds of thousands of people safely to millions of destinations across the nation. Our customers trust us to keep them safe and to get them where they need to be on time. Being responsible for the safety of passengers is a tremendous responsibility; we and our drivers understand this and see passenger safety as our number one priority.
- Our cars meet all safety regulations and are regularly tested to ensure they meet all requirements
- Our drivers are trained and licenced as professional drivers. They have completed a taxi driver training programs offered at community colleges across the nation.
- Only drivers with a clean driving record are permitted to work for a regulated taxi company; necessary checks are conducted.
- Many of our drivers receive special training in how to serve and transport persons with disabilities and other vulnerable people.
- We have very firm rules about the age of cars that are permitted to enter into use as a taxi.
- In many Canadian cities, regulated company taxis have an emergency button inside the car.
- All cabs have identifying numbers on the fenders, rooftop and inside the car, along with driver IDs.
Taxi regulation ensures value for customers and community
No matter who you are or where you need to go, you can expect a regulated taxicab to take you there for a fair price; you’ll get professional, courteous service and safe, secure ride.
- Regulated taxis provide a comprehensive, high-quality, inclusive service for everyone. People of all walks of life use regulated taxi services; this includes everyone from business people in a rush, persons with disabilities visiting doctors, visitors from abroad, shoppers, older people, sick people, children, even inebriated people.
- Many regulated taxi companies provide free mobile phone applications to customers for easy booking and payment.
- Regulated taxis charge all passengers the same fare anytime. Fares are published, clear and consistent.
- Hundreds of thousands of passengers are carried by regulated taxicabs in Canada daily. Hundreds of thousands of trips are taken in regulated taxicabs daily.
- Less than one per cent of taxi rides result in a customer complaint.
- Many regulated taxi fleets have wheelchair accessible vehicles available; drivers receive special training on transporting disabled passengers and service animals.
Regulated taxis are trusted and secure
People riding in Canada’s regulated taxicabs can feel secure that they are covered should an accident occur. Pedestrians, cyclists and other motorists are covered too. Regulated taxicabs have full commercial insurance to protect all parties should an accident ever occur, and taxicab operators use state-of-the-art secure payment systems to protect customer identity and card information.
- Our drivers are all fully insured with commercial driver policies; regulated taxi companies provide up to an additional $7 million per incident.
- Our payment systems are state-of-the-art and fulfill all regulator security requirements and best IT security practices. We accept credit, debit, chit cards and cash. In some regions prepaid and student cards are accepted.
- Cabs of regulated taxi companies are fitted with sealed meters which are checked regularly.
Some customers enjoy the convenience of booking a taxi online or via a mobile app. That’s why many of Canada’s regulated taxicab operators have invested in sophisticated dispatch systems and advanced online and mobile apps.
You book now or later, pay online, save favourite locations and addresses, see a history of trips and transactions and track progress via GPS.
These technologies provide a reliable, convenient service for today’s technology-savvy customers and they are free to use.